Friday, March 7, 2008

Catherine...the Homemaker ?

I've found pleasures out of the small and simple things in life lately like making things for our house, kind of... I found a recipe for making homemade laundry detergent. We usually use Tide which costs .30 cents per load, not huge, but the one that is homemade only costs .07 cents per load AND, it works really well! Some old grass stains in a pair of Addy's jeans came out (without any pre-treatment). And it feels good knowing that I'm making something useful for my family.

Here is the recipe if you want to give it a try:

1/2 cup Arm and Hammer Washing SODA (not baking soda)

1/2 cup Borax

1 cup (1 bar) of grated Fels Naptha Stain stick soap or ivory bar

Then you only use 1 TBSP per load or 2 if really soiled. It doesn't suds up a lot, so if you equate clean with lots of suds this one may not be for you.

Also, I've started cloth diapering and...it's been ok. I'm not sure what got me started on this, but after reading up on it I really feel like it's the best thing. There are some possible health risks with the use of disposables which can be found here http://www.thediaperhyena.com/diaperdilemma.htm. Aside from that, the cost difference is pretty significant. I went a little crazy and bought more diaper covers than necessary, but even so, we will save $651 over the next year and a half AND we'll have free diapers for baby #3. Additionally, they are so cute. Check out these precious covers....I'll have to post some live pics soon.


So, those are my adventures. More to come at a later date.

On to a quick update on our girls, Harley now enjoys playing with babies.

Addy is somewhat excited that Harley is showing some interest in the things that she likes to play. However, this picture pretty much sums up what Harley likes about babies...she can eat them.

No comments: